Feel fresh when you slip into beautiful, crisp, white sheets at the end of a long day.
Keep your beautiful white bed linen from turning a not-so-attractive shade of yellow/grey over time.
Reasons for dull looking and feeling bed sheets:
- build up of body oils and sweat
- discolouration caused by skin care products
- improper storage (in cardboard boxes or on wooden shelves)
- exposure to nicotine smoke
- using too much, or poor-quality detergent and/or fabric softener
- overloading the washing machine
- not washing frequently enough (every 7-10 days is recommended)
BLEACH: Chlorine bleach is quite harsh and can degrade the fibres and shorten the lifespan of your bed linen. Regular use can actually turn your sheets more dull.
So if you shouldn’t use bleach on your premium egyptian cotton sheets, then how do you keep them as white as the day you bought them?
The answer is simple:
- baking soda
- dish washing liquid
- and lemon juice
Baking soda and vinegar can safely be used for every regular wash, this will help keep your bed linens white and bright. Both will also soften your sheets without damaging them like fabric softener does.
- ¼ cup baking soda added together to a small amount of mild liquid detergent (about half the manufacturer’s recommended dose).
- Just add ½ cup vinegar to the fabric softener compartment of the washing machine, or if your machine doesn’t have one, add directly to the wash once the rinse cycle has started.
Wash in cool to warm water, preferably on a gentle cycle.
If your sheets have already yellowed, try the following method:
- 1 cup vinegar
- juice of 1 lemon
- 2tbsp dish-washing liquid
Dissolve all in a tub of warm water and soak for at least half an hour. Rinse, remove and do a regular cool water machine wash.
Soaking overnight in a borax solution can also help bring dingy sheets back to life again.
And finally, you can try adding a little Reckitt’s Blue to the wash. Available in supermarkets and is probably the oldest trick in the book! The blue counteracts the yellow hue and gives the optical illusion of bright white.S
That’s it. Simple, cost effective and natural way to keep your bed linen perfectly white so you can enjoy their fresh and crisp look and feel night after night. Enjoy!
Note: Hot water can be quite effective at removing stains. We do not recommend this because hot water is harsh on cotton, especially premium fine yarns such as egyptian cotton. However if nothing else has worked and you are considering discarding your linens, then as a last resort you could try using the above methods with hot, even boiling, water.